In its seventh season, Symphony Under the Stars has proven itself as a major event for Gloucester. This year’s concert is scheduled for Saturday, May 31st at 8:00pm. Here are five reasons that you can’t miss Symphony Under the Stars.
1. Because the Virginia Symphony always impresses. The concert will be given by the Virginia Symphony orchestra, conducted by Maestro Benjamin Rous. The Virginia Symphony is at the center of the Hampton Roads arts community, and in many ways serves as the cultural cornerstone for the region.
2. Because it’s free. Thanks to the Cook Foundation and many other generous sponsors, Symphony Under the Stars continues to be a FREE family concert. Executive Director of the Cook Foundation, Jenny Crittenden, stated, “The Cook Foundation is very excited to be able to continue to bring this much anticipated annual event to the community and carry on our mission of enhancing the quality of life here in Gloucester through the arts.” Where else can you bring your lawn chairs and picnic blankets and listen to the sounds of the Virginia Symphony? This event is perfect for the entire family.
3. Because you can dine on Main Street and receive a disount. Dine before the concert and receive 10% off at the following locations by mentioning to your server you are attending the concert: Anna’s Pizza, Olivia’s in the Village, Bangkok Noi, Jessica’s on Main, Wild Ginger, 6655 Main and Courthouse Restaurant. Picnics are welcome too! Boy Scout Troop 111 will be on site selling food as well.
4. Because the weather promises to be nice. According to our research Saturday is shaping up to be a beautiful day for an outdoor concert. But in case of inclement weather, the rain location is the Lighthouse Worship Center. (4299 George Washington Memorial Hwy, Hayes, VA 23072)
5. Because it’s right on Main Street. You won’t have to travel far to experience this outdoor concert. Symphony Under the Stars is located “on the lawn” of Main Street and Walter Reed Way. Road closures will be in effect on Main Street between Belroi Rd. (at Church of the St. Therese) and Newington Baptist Church between the hours of 6:30PM and 10:00PM to facilitate the concert. General parking will be available along Main Street, in the back lots of Newington Baptist Church and in Gloucester County Government parking lots. Special needs parking will be available at Newington Baptist Church & St. Therese by permit only.
For more information please call Jenny Crittenden @ 824-9614. Sponsored by the Cook Foundation, Riverside Walter Reed Hospital, Main Street Preservation Trust, Chesapeake Bank, Gloucester Main Street Association, Martin, Ingles & Hensley, Virginia Commission for the Arts, Dr. Tim Leigh, DDS., Tomlinson Exterminating & XTRA 99.1FM, Rappahannock Concrete, and Creative Art & Design.