Heart Felt Touch Massage Therapy and Caregivers of the Commonwealth will host a unique opportunity for family and professional caregivers to learn a new skill called Compassionate Touch®.
Compassionate Touch® is an approach combining skilled touch and specialized communication shown to prevent behavioral expression in people with dementia and reduce job stress in care-partners. In palliative care, it provides skilled touch with compassionate presence to enhance quality of life for those in the later stages of life.
Compassionate Touch helps providers achieve goals related to person-centered dementia care and reduction of unnecessary use of anti-psychotic medication. This practical, evidence-informed approach literally puts in caregiver’s hands a non-pharmacological solution that:
• Is Feasible: Uses existing resources | Easy to learn | Practicality ensures sustainability
• Is Effective: Decreases anxiety | Promotes sleep | Eases pain | Builds trust in caregivers | Provides a non-pharmacological prevention strategy for behavioral symptoms
• Facilitates Staff Satisfaction: Reduces job burnout | Builds strong relationships | Aligns with person-centered care practices
• Encourages Family Engagement: Provides a means for family to calm, comfort and support their loved one | Enhances the family’s experience as a member of the care-team
• Strengthens Marketability with a unique program for community outreach | Sets your organization apart | Demonstrates commitment to culture change
Who should come? Nurses, CNA’s, Activity professionals, Nursing home admin, Memory care directors, Occupational, Physical and Massage therapists, Families, Volunteers and Chaplains.
To pre-register for Compassionate Touch Specialist Training, contact Ginger Spencer at 804-832-8859. This event will be held at Caregivers of the Commonwealth located at 6661 Hickory Fork Road, Hayes, Va., March 29th from 9am-12pm. The cost is $35 for family caregivers and $85 for professional caregivers. Information about Compassionate Touch® and other training programs offered by AGE-u-cate® Training Institute is available at www.AGEucate.com